The original structure on this grade IIIC heritage site was built in 1943 to serve as a WWII radar monitoring facility. During 1970, additions were made to turn it into a proper house. The 2016 design allows the structure to evolve architecturally, not only in functional terms – by increasing accommodation and improve tectonics while maximising views, but to acquire aesthetic merit. This also afforded the opportunity to introduce technological advancements with regards to sustainability. A critical conservation approach was followed in order not to undermine the historic heritage value.
“We are very pleased with the design outcome.”
– David Lermer